Land Transactions Involving Charities
Charities are significant players in the national economy. Charities that are registered with the Charity Commission generate income of over £73 billion per annum. Even this substantial figure does not include the income of exempt charities, such as community benefit societies and academy schools. Charitable organisations deliver a wide range of social services, provide housing and other accommodation, manage educational institutions, run parks and gardens and heritage buildings, own and administer sporting facilities and are very often key players in the regeneration of run-down urban or rural areas. These activities, alongside their general need for administrative premises and in some cases property investments, mean that they are regularly engaged in property transactions and often require other legal support with respect to their properties.
Charitable status brings with it a positive reputation and significant tax benefits. Those privileges are however subject to detailed legal regulation. Inappropriate handling of legal issues by practitioners and a failure to understand the particular financial environment in which charities operate can consequently have significant adverse reputational and financial effects on charitable organisations.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- What charities are and how they hold property
- The relevance of charity governance and trust law
- Restrictions on dealing with and using charity property
- The particular statutory rules relating to disposals by regulated charities
- Tax reliefs and the risk of losing relief
- Resolving common title and ownership issues
- Particular transactions: mergers, incorporations, asset transfers, development
- The current review of various legal provisions relating to holding and dealing with charity land and possible changes in the law
- Recent relevant court and Charity Commission cases including the Charity Commission investigation into the Garden Bridge Trust
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme