Valuation of Business Interests on Divorce - A Guide for Family Lawyers
The question of the correct bases upon which to value a business and, once valued, the best/fairest way to deal with the business on divorce is a vexed one which has troubled the Family Division for decades.
There have been a number of cases in recent years which provide essential guidance to those in practice whether that is in small, medium or big money cases.
This webinar will focus on recent developments which impact on current practice and will assist you to give focused advice to clients in cases where the valuation and treatment of business interests has a central role in the proceedings.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- Different valuation methods for different companies
- Thinking 'outside the box' when instructing valuers
- How the Court approaches the apportionment of risk
- How the Court approaches issues of illiquidity
- When should the 'golden goose' be killed?
- When will the Court conclude that a business cannot accurately be valued? What does it do about it?
- Valuation of farming businesses and other 'niche' businesses
- Recent case law
This webinar was recorded on 2nd March 2020