Taxing Issues in Estates - Compliance, Planning & Adding Value with John Bunker
This full day course will help you get to grips with the main tax issues arising in estates. Aiming to meet not only the detailed compliance obligations, but also identify increasing potential to add value through offering tax planning opportunities.
With the new SRA rules on disclosure of probate fees, and the growing place of accountants and other competition in this work, law firms are reviewing how their probate services can stand out and what differentiates their offering, including the tax planning potential.
The course will enable both those doing the detailed work, and those overseeing it or with the key client relationships, to see more clearly ways to do better what needs doing.
Now is a good time to take stock of the tax issues in probate work recognising many recent major changes including the Residence Nil Rate Band (RNRB), aggregable trusts and the potential avenues to save IHT by variations within 2 years of death.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- How to administer estates most effectively - to use the tax planning options available, especially with RNRB and to avoid the tax traps
- Valuations for IHT - of property, chattels and investments, and changes of value post death on property and investments
- How the excepted estates rules work - when do you need to do a full IHT 400?
- Aggregated trusts and estates - how they share the NRB and RNRB and how reliefs and exemptions work
- Appropriations - the crucial legal and tax aspects - how they can help save tax
- Gains and losses in estates - the interaction of IHT loss relief and CGT - reporting and planning to mitigate tax on executors and beneficiaries
- SDLT - how beneficiaries of estates are affected and might save the 3% higher rate for additional dwellings charge and protect first time buyers relief
- Income tax of the administration period - R185s, timing of distributions and income tax planning
- Deeds of Variation - the key tax issues when varying an estate - IHT, CGT and income tax, including planning to maximise use of RNRB
- Gifts to charities - including the 36% lower IHT rate on the constituent parts, working out 10% of the baseline amount, merging components and using Deeds of Variation
10:00am - 4:30pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme