Tax Investigations - How to Advise Your Clients Effectively
HMRC is stepping up its assault on evasion, avoidance and tax planning. Stung by criticism from Parliament, HMRC is looking to demonstrate that it is not a soft touch when it comes to avoidance and evasion.
The environment is likely to become significantly more difficult for taxpayers who are caught under their microscope.
Additionally, the new criminal offences for failing to declare offshore income and for corporations that fail to take adequate steps to prevent the facilitation of evasion will undoubtedly increase the number of prosecutions in the years to come.
What You Will Learn
This course looks at the whole area of tax investigations including:
- Sources of information for HMRC
- Their new powers
- Taxpayer rights
- How to avoid criminal sanctions
- Tactics in dealing with HMRC
- Case law on the conduct of investigations
- The appeals process
- Fee protection
- The international context
- The duty to correct
- The remaining defences which a taxpayer can deploy against ever more powerful authorities
9:30am - 12:45pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme