Sustainable Building - A Guide to Best Practice in Retrofitting Solid Walled Properties
This one day technical training course will explore best practice and case studies in the field of upgrading traditional and historic buildings for architects and construction professionals.
Upgrading traditional building fabric is notoriously complex and costly, particularly where planning restrictions apply, and a holistic understanding of buildings, upgrade measures and occupant behaviour is required before modern materials are applied to older structures.
The course will examine current issues, solutions and emerging best practice in how to achieve ‘responsible retrofit’ - sustainable, low-energy traditional buildings with retained character, minimal risk to buildings and occupants and real benefits for all.
Find out how to protect traditional buildings but make them fit for the future, the risks for large-scale retrofit projects and how solid-walled buildings can be insulated without causing unintended consequences.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- How do you protect traditional buildings but make them fit for the future?
- What are the risks for large-scale retrofit projects?
- How can solid-walled buildings be insulated without causing unintended consequences?
- Principles including moisture movement, thermal bridging, building and insulation materials, energy assessments, planning and finance are complemented by practical solutions for domestic buildings, with a focus on solid walls, windows and ventilation as part of a whole-building approach
- Practical application is demonstrated by case studies and practical sessions, and technical detail encompasses recent research projects published by English Heritage, Historic Environment Scotland, SPAB, the Sustainable Traditional Buildings Alliance (STBA) and others
- Both good and bad practice will be covered, in order to highlight the importance of adopting an appropriate, responsible approach to traditional building retrofit
- Case studies of large-scale solid wall insulation failures will be presented alongside comprehensive new guidance on how to avoid these pitfalls and adopt robust approaches to area-based insulation schemes
9:30am - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme