Spotting IP Issues in Commercial Transactions - The Tools You Need
This webinar will provide you with the tools you need to help you spot key intellectual property issues when entering into common commercial transactions.
Based on the scenario of a contract for the supply of goods and/or services (including those where some development or customisation work is involved), this webinar explores the IP issues that frequently need to be considered in such a relationship - from both a supplier’s and customer’s viewpoint.
The webinar will draw on practical examples from a range of industries and will discuss key tips and commonly-encountered pitfalls.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- What IP precautions should you take before negotiations start?
- Understanding the various IP rights that are at play in the customer/supplier relationship and their relative significance
- Dealing with new IP that may be created in the course of the relationship, including:
- The importance of dealing with ownership and the rights to use any newly created IP, in advance of the work starting (and the risks of not doing so)
- Common IP pitfalls for suppliers - the dangers of giving away too much
- Key issues for customers: what rights do you need to secure and what could you live without?
- Key issues to tackle in relation to pre-existing IP, including:
- As a customer, what access do you need to the supplier’s pre-existing IP in order to make use of the goods or services?
- What are the main issues for suppliers when considering the grant of such rights?
- Using third party IP in the customer solution: what to watch out for and understanding the risks
- What title, non-infringement and other IP assurances should customers seek, and what might suppliers be willing to give?