Residential Tenancies - Case Law Update with Paul Tobias
You may specialise in residential tenancies or more likely come across them as part of your regular conveyancing practice. This webinar will look at some of the potential for disputes and will provide a review of recent case law.
Tenancies and leasehold titles generally give conveyancers a disproportionate number of headaches and it is best to be prepared and better able to advise clients on this often fraught area of the law.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- Consent of the freeholder for a tenant to apply for planning permission to convert from commercial to residential use
- Service charges and disputes
- Problems with interim maintenance charge demands
- Liability for the cost of heating on two adjoining estates
- Reselling water to tenants at a premium
- When is a flat not a flat?
- Freehold Properties 250 Ltd v Field and others  EWCH 792 - Part of the house or the whole of the house?
- The ‘Tate Peeping Case’ - Fearn v Tate Gallery  EWCA
- Licence for alterations and breach of covenant
- Government advice to landlords - COVID-19
- Landlord’s powers to increase rent
- Houses in Multiple Occupation
- Reviewing key points as to service of a s21 Housing Act notice to determine an assured shorthold tenancy
- Airbnb and similar short term lets - breach of lease covenant?
- A review of fire safety requirements - post Grenfell
- Unlawful eviction and resulting damages
- The Government’s view of escalating ground rents and unfair lease terms, CML/UK Finance Mortgage Lending retainer and your liability - impact on Help to Buy Home Equity Loans
- Law Commission - a brief look at proposals for leasehold flats and houses. The consultation and January 2020 proposals
- ‘No Dogs’ - is that use restriction enforceable?
This pre-recorded webinar will be streamed at 12:30pm on Monday 17th August 2020 and will remain available to view by delegates who have registered by then for 90 days.