Pets & Divorce - A Guide for Family Lawyers
Britain is known for being a nation of animal lovers but what happens when a relationship ends?
Statistics show that almost 50% of the population in the UK own a pet and it has been reported that one in four divorces involve a dispute over a pet, and the figure is likely to be similar in relation to co-habiting couples.
As a result, the Law Society have previously suggested that entering into a pet-nup might be beneficial.
This introductory level webinar is suitable for those who deal with divorce and separation.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- How much of an issue pets are when it comes to divorce proceedings - recent examples where pets have been involved in divorce proceedings and how often this happens
- The legal definition of a pet
- Factors the court might take into account when deciding who a pet should stay with/what is the current legal position?
- Practical ways of dealing with 'who gets the dog'
- Things to include in a pet-nup
- Is the law going to change to give more recognition to the position animals have?
This webinar was recorded on 14th January 2020