Negotiating Skills - A Workshop for Junior Litigators
Negotiation skills are essential for junior litigators. With over a 90% settlement rate in civil matters, and an ever increasing focus on alternative dispute resolution outside the court system, junior litigators are far more likely to negotiate a settlement than go to trial.
This practical workshop focuses on the skills and strategies needed to conduct legal negotiations more effectively in contentious matters. It is suitable for junior litigators with little or no negotiation experience (or for junior litigators looking to consolidate their skills).
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Negotiation theory and styles - overview of different negotiation styles (including competitive, co-operative and principled negotiation) and their application to different contentious scenarios
- Legal negotiation - how, and why, it differs from other types of negotiations and the role of lawyers in legal negotiations
- Essential negotiation skills - qualities of effective negotiators, listening and questioning skills and tips on handling difficult people
- Tips and tactics on preparing for and conducting negotiations - effective preparation, BATNAs, ZOPAs, walk-away positions, anchoring and opening offers
- Conducting effective negotiations by telephone and e-mail
- Negotiation role-play exercises
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme