Navigating the Regulatory Framework & Avoiding Claims & Complaints - A Guide for Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys
This new live broadcast session will deliver practical guidance to members of the UK Patent and Trade Mark Attorney profession on the regulatory regime, practical legal issues arising in day to day practice and the professional duty of care owed to clients.
The session will also examine the responsibilities of attorneys when formulating and giving advice, identify areas where problems commonly arise and look at how to avoid complaints and claims from arising.
It is aimed at all Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys, particularly those new to the professions.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive broadcast will cover the following:
- The regulatory context, including:
- An overview of IPReg and its activities
- The role of the Legal Ombudsman
- The application of the Money Laundering Regulations to the businesses of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys
- Common practical legal issues which arise in day to day practice, including:
- Identifying your client
- Conflicts of interest and confidentiality
- Threats of litigation
- Licensing and assignments
- ‘Good practice’ in relation to fee estimates, recording instructions, document retention, referrals and other issues
- Issues arising when formulating and delivering advice, including:
- The duty of care owed by Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys
- Record keeping
- Giving advice on foreign law
- ‘Business advice’
- To whom your advice is being given and who may be relying upon it
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.