Lease Renewals - Tricky Problems & Practical Solutions
The Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 is so much a part of the commercial property landscape that it’s natural to think of it as pure routine. But scratch the surface and you’re reminded that it is a highly technical piece of legislation, and there can be a lot of complexity involved in the way it operates.
This workshop examines some knotty issues in depth, and will be of benefit both to surveyors engaged in lease renewal work and also to commercial property lawyers, whether dealing with lettings or litigation.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Tenants whose business is sub-letting - can they be in occupation?
- Shop-and-flat leases - which scheme of security applies, and can it change?
- Franchise arrangements - who is in occupation?
- Which landlord is the relevant one for the renewal process?
- The s.28 trap - beware the unintended contracting-out
- Can you be held to terms stated in notices or court documents?
- Issues to be aware of in reaching settlements
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme