Intellectual Property Law Update
This full day course will consider new case law, practice, legislation and forthcoming legislation in a number of IP practice areas with some reference to earlier cases as an 'aide memoire'.
The area covered by this course are: Copyright, Registered Trade Marks (domestic and European), Passing Off, Designs (registered and unregistered), and Confidential Information. The potential implications of Brexit on IP matters will be discussed during the course.
This course is aimed at both solicitors and trade mark attorneys. Delegates should have a good general knowledge of intellectual property.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following topics:
- Update on the practice and procedure before IPEC, the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court. Is the Pre-Action Conduct of any practical importance?
- Forthcoming major changes to the EU copyright framework including Copyright in the Digital Single Market and the potential ability for authors to have certain contractual provisions altered, possibly a number of years after signing
- The latest Court of Justice (CJEU) cases on liability for web-linking and web links
- Copyright Exceptions: What might the position be in 2018?
- The repeal of section 52 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 and its very real and continuing after effect
- Website blocking - some recent innovations
- The ever continuing fall-out over the IP Translator and Leno Merken cases - the latest guidance of the EUIPO and the European TMDN. Leno Merken and Brexit
- What might presently constitute use of a mark?
- Own-name defences
- Shape and/or function of goods and registrability: Domestic and CJEU case law
- The important 2017 statutory change to IP unjustified threats provisions - long overdue?
- Passing Off after the 'Rihanna' and 'Glee' cases. How important was the Supreme Court decision in 'Starbucks'?
- Registered Designs after the 'Trunki' Supreme Court decision, vital domestic and European TMDN guidance on illustrations, and why Registered Designs are still worth applying for!
- Directors' liability for breaches of Confidential Information
9:30am - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme