Inquest Law - All the Hot Topics
Inquests are an increasingly important aspect of legal practice in Northern Ireland.
The applicable law continues to evolve apace - are you up to date?
This course will give you practical and up to date guidance and will consider how to achieve the best results for your clients.
This course is aimed at legal professionals and those who represent organisations potentially implicated in a death, those acting on behalf of families of the deceased and other interested persons.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- How do you get involved in an inquest?
- Standing and 'Interested Person' status
- What to do if your client is asked to be a witness?
- Defining the scope of inquests:
- What is an 'Article 2' inquest, and what difference does it make? (Tyrrell v HM Senior Coroner County Durham and Darlington )
- What is the 'scope'
- Ways in which you can try to expand or limit the scope
- How do scope and disclosure interrelate? (Gribben )
- What can/should be recorded in the judgment/outcome? (Tainton )
- Inquests and other civil proceedings
- Using an inquest as part of overall strategy for civil claims
- How to influence the progress of the inquest before it has started
- How to best protect/advance your client's position
- Recoverability of inquest legal costs: Lynch
- Current themes in 'legacy' inquests
- The role of the Attorney General and when does a duty arise to direct new inquests? (Johnson v AG of NI )
- Investigations into deaths by the LIB (McQullan )
- Anonymity and screening: Re Jordan 
- Referring an inquest outcome to the DPP: Jordan 
2:00pm - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme