Health & Safety in the Construction Industry
Many companies and their individuals that work in construction are not fully familiar with their Health and Safety duties and the way in which the changes to UK Health & Safety legislation might impact them.
This highly engaging and interactive session will highlight the key risks for contractors, surveyors, suppliers, designers, manufacturers and installers - and discuss how to limit liability and exposure to the risk of prosecution.
You will also get the chance to participate in an ‘interview under caution’ by an enforcing authority and the afternoon workshop session will allow you to discuss and analyse how best to deal with an investigation into a Health and Safety incident.
This is a ‘must attend’ for anyone involved in the construction industry who wishes to know more about their statutory Health and Safety obligations and how to put themselves and the companies that they work for in the best possible position to resist scrutiny from an enforcing authority.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Why manage Health and Safety?
- HSE statistics
- Business impacts
- Occupational health issues
- Health and Safety responsibilities - obligations under the Health and Safety legislation:
- Do you have obligations as an individual?
- What’s the worst that can happen - penalties?
- Duty holder status under the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 - a practical view?
- The 2016 Sentencing Guidelines - what is the impact on construction professionals?
- Case studies - fines since the guidelines were issued
- Key issues in the construction industry - working at height/asbestos/property and facilities management
- Corporate manslaughter - has anything changed?
- Practical legal tips to reduce exposure to the risk of prosecution
- Afternoon practical session: ‘Interview Under Caution’ exercise - watch how individuals deal with being interviewed under caution by an enforcing authority and then discuss the issues that were raised during the interview and how you can best protect yourselves and your companies from the risk of prosecution
9:30am - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme