Employer Statutory Payments - Tips, Traps & Tangles for Payroll & HR Teams
Employers and agents are responsible for four family-related statutory payments, statutory sick pay and national minimum wage compliance which at times involve understanding legislation of significant complexity and the interaction between the payments themselves and the complimentary leave entitlements.
This course will focus on pay entitlements rather than the employment law aspects of statutory leave.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Family and absence related statutory payments
- Terminology - for HR, payroll teams and employees
- Eligibility - qualifying service and earnings
- Notice and evidence
- Exclusions and how to handle them
- Handling statutory payments - when, how much and what happens to optional remuneration arrangements (salary sacrifice) during the different pay periods
- Employment rights - KIT days, return to work and termination of employment
- Might shared parental pay help with your gender pay gap - a reminder of how it works and the flexibility for parents and businesses, not just complexity
- The scenarios we don't often come across but still need to understand - overseas adoptions, surrogate parents, two jobs and SMP
- Key cases that have shaped statutory payments - Alabaster, Gillespie, Wade, Ali
- Recovery of costs for employers
- Why are HMRC finding so many employers aren't compliant for National Minimum Wage (NMW)?
- What are the types of worker and how do contracts have to match pay?
- Who doesn't qualify for NMW?
- What are the dos' and don'ts around pay, hours and NMW compliance?
- How will the new regulations in April 2019 on payslip detail fact your organisation?
- Future developments - the SSP review, bereavement pay and leave
Quick Quiz - Test Your Knowledge: Just click Payroll
2:00pm - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme