E-Commerce - The Legal Essentials Explained
This new course will cover the key legal areas of special applicability in the on-line environment and which must be taken into consideration when setting up or operating an e-commerce website.
The ever increasing regulation in this arena, and the forthcoming likely changes including e-privacy and age verification, will require many and on-going changes to the operation of an e-commerce website. Matters of general contract and data protection law will not be discussed.
What You Will Learn
The course will discuss:
- What is an e-commerce operation? Wider than often appreciated
- The vital Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 for online transactions and which replaced the DSRs (the Distance Selling Regulations 2000)
- The sometimes overlooked e-Commerce Regulations and their important application
- The current domestic e-Privacy Regulations and, in brief, the likely but still much delayed EU E-Privacy Regulation
- Restrictions on e-mail marketing: Does one always have to rely on informed consent?
- Do the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (CPRs) and the Business Protection from Misleading Marketing Regulations (BPRs) raise any operational issues?
- In outline, statutory accessibility requirements for those with disabilities
- Intellectual Property - potential and actual copyright, passing off and trade mark issues. Can one link to or even embed third party content without permission? Are there any EC-proposed IP laws on the horizon that could affect some e-commerce websites?
- (In brief) The GDPR - might important changes be required to e-commerce sites and their back-end systems? Pitfalls to avoid. Some pointers to useful due diligence exercises when selecting data processors, including web-hosters and/or cloud providers. Does the May 2018 implementation of the Network and Information Systems Directive ('NIS') need to be considered? The NIS can apply to certain cloud and online marketplaces as well as some SaaS, PaaS, IaaS and equivalent providers
9:30am - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme