Disputes in the First Tier Tax Tribunal - A Guide to Challenges, Appeals & Judicial Review
UK tax disputes are increasing but the majority of taxpayers remain unsuccessful in the FTT.
This course will equip you with the knowledge and skills to confidently manage the litigation process and provide guidance on how best to represent your client in a dispute with HMRC.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Being prepared for litigation
- How to challenge HMRC: appeal or judicial review?
- Strategic and tactical tips and advice
- Closure and appealable decisions.
- Pre-litigation Considerations:
- Statutory review
- Late appeals
- Hardship (for VAT)
- The Appeal Route:
- How to lodge an appeal
- Allocation of appeal
- Case Management and Directions
- Importance of adhering to directions: BPP Holdings Ltd & Ors 
- Interlocutory applications - Preliminary issues, lead case and disclosure
- Procedure and process - Statements of Case, documents, witness statements and skeleton arguments
- The Hearing:
- Preparation and what happens on the day
- The FTT Decision: Review and Appeal
- Judicial Review
- What is it and when to apply for it
- Time limits
- Grounds for judicial review in a tax context
- Application process
- Potential results
- Other options: ADR
10:00am - 4:30pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme