Discovery Assessments - Latest Case Law Explained
In order to make a valid discovery assessment, HMRC have to demonstrate that the statutory conditions for discovery are met. It is not enough simply to show that there has been an under-assessment to tax, but HMRC, in practice, sometimes fail to make it clear to taxpayers how they consider the considerations are met.
This webinar covers the framework for discovery assessments and the limitations on HMRC ability to issue assessments. It is relevant to all accountants and tax practitioners.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- Recap on discovery assessments - the key conditions
- What is discovery
- The need for something new and the concept of 'staleness'
- Insufficiency of disclosure and the hypothetical officer
- Defences against discovery
- Review of recent case law
This pre-recorded webinar will be streamed at 12:30pm on Monday 29th June 2020 and will remain available to view by delegates who have registered by then for 90 days.