Collateral Warranties - A Practical Introduction
This course will provide an introduction for anyone with a basic knowledge of construction law. It is relevant for those involved in the drafting, negotiating or reviewing collateral warranties for real estate or other construction projects.
The course will be interactive and will focus on the commercial, as well as the legal, issues.
The issues to be addressed will include:
- Tensions between beneficiaries, warrantors and insurers
- Can a contractor's obligation to provide a collateral warranty be enforced?
- Common drafting issues
- Do disputes under a collateral warranty have to be referred to adjudication?
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Why have collateral warranties (and what are the alternatives)?
- Structure and status of collateral warranties
- Key provisions:
- Obligations and duty of care
- Design and insurance
- Limitations of liability
- Enforcement issues, covering the recent case of Liberty Mercian v Cuddy Civil Engineering
- An interactive exercise based on a bespoke form of collateral warranties
2:00pm - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme