Charity Governance & Finance - A Guide for Trustees
Charity Trustees have the overall responsibility for managing and directing the affairs of their charity. In the current climate good governance and a proper understanding of that role is crucial.
This course will explore the responsibility of Trustees, with particular focus on governance, using real life examples of best practice, as well as where things can go wrong!
It is also important for Trustees to have an understanding of charity accounting in order to carry out their duties, to ensure that they fulfil their responsibilities and recognise the early warning signs should the charity face financial difficulties.
Using practical examples, the course will increase understanding and confidence when reviewing financial results, in order to aid decision-making, as well as provide an understanding of the format and content of financial statements for charities.
The course is aimed at Charity Trustees, staff and their professional advisors who are keen to add value to the support they provide. It will also be relevant to new Trustees, those considering the role or those who require a refresher and will assume a minimal level of prior charity accounting knowledge or experience.
What You Will Learn
This course will provide a comprehensive explanation of the role of Trustees and cover the following:
- The six key duties of Trustees and how to apply them in practice
- Good governance including the new Charity Governance Code
- Creating an effective Trustee Board
- Financial statements for charities:-
- Who needs to prepare what, why and how?
- Basic accounting concepts for charities
- The purpose and content of charity financial statements
- Writing the Trustees Annual Report including the challenges and opportunities that presents, with a focus on the importance of a reserves policy and risk assessment.
- Financial reporting requirements for effective decision-making
- Measuring financial performance
10:00am - 4:30pm
10:00am - 4:30pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme