Challenging Sham Marriage Allegations - A Guide for Immigration Lawyers
The Immigration Act 2014 introduced a new framework for the Home Office investigating sham marriages.
With the Home Office investigating thousands of marriages each year under the legislation, it is important that practitioners in immigration law are familiar with the scheme, including the proposed Marriages and Civil Partnerships Regulations, the statutory guidance and the wide range of UKVI policy guidance.
A good understanding of these tools will allow for far more effective challenges.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- The correct definition of a sham marriage
- A detailed analysis of Part 4 of the Immigration Act, the proposed Marriages and Civil Partnerships Regulations and the Marriage and Civil Partnership referral and investigation scheme: statutory guidance for Home Office staff
- The importance of the UKVI conducting investigations lawfully, including the requirements in requests made for evidence and the marriage interview process
- A consideration of the impact of Home Office non-compliance with notice periods
- A breakdown of sham marriage enforcement actions and offences
- Detailed examination of the UKVI Enforcement Visits Guidance
- A study of other useful policy guidance and case law update
This webinar was recorded on 26th September 2019