Billing for Conveyancers - Rules, Regulations & Getting Paid
As a busy conveyancer you need to concentrate on progressing the matter forward in a speedy and efficient manner to the satisfaction of your client.
The question of billing may sometimes take a back seat but for all manner of regulatory reasons the conveyancing bill requires at least as much attention as investigating title.
If you ignore professional rules or pay scant attention to costing then at least this will impact on your profitability and, at worst, lead to your firm attracting the attention of regulatory bodies.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- How to make sure your bill gets paid, preparing and presenting your completion statements, invoicing clients by email, avoiding doing work for nothing and turning away clients
- SRA Code of Conduct 2019, referral fees, 'false profits'
- Law Society Guidance - 'Price and Service Transparency', client care information and publicising solicitors' charges
- Council of Licensed Conveyancers on fees
- New SRA Accounting Rules 2019
- VAT on disbursements - Law Society Guide 2019 and SDLT implications - the danger of tax savings schemes
- CML Conditions - with a look at panels, mortgagees costs and separate representation
- The ultimate sanction - you can be struck off for 'overcharging'
- What can a client do in challenging a bill - 'Solicitor accused of playing golf while charging £300 an hour wins libel damages' - Consumer Credit Act implications? The Legal Ombudsman
- The retainer letter and contractual bias
- Partnership problems - how do you agree to share the fees and payments between partners
- A typical explanation of a 'quote' to prospective clients
This pre-recorded webinar will be streamed at 12:30pm on Thursday 13th February 2020 and will remain available to view by delegates who have registered by then for 90 days.