Article 2 Inquests with Leslie Thomas QC - From Your Desk
This new live broadcast session will explore, examine and critically analyse the concept of the Article 2 inquest and how to recognise one.
You will find out what to look out for and gain an understanding of the disadvantages and benefits of these types of inquests.
By the end of this session, you will be well versed in the arguments and will be able to prepare to either advance or rebut arguments for these enhanced inquests.
What You Will Learn
The live and interactive session will cover the following:
- What exactly is Article 2, and does it matter?
- What does the legislation say?
- Outline of key cases
- What is a simple domestic (Jamieson) inquest and how does that compare with an Article 2 case?
- The advantages
- The disadvantages
- How does Article 2 impact on the question of the scope of the inquest?
- How does Article 2 impact on disclosure, witnesses, and evidence in general?
- Article 2 and juries - do they go hand in hand?
- What is the interrelationship between Article 2 and the inquest conclusions (verdicts)?
- Why some coroners appear resistant to finding that Article 2 is engaged and how to overcome that
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.