An Introduction to Image Rights in Sport
As a former tennis great once said ‘image is everything’.
His larger than life character both on and off the court brought him multi-million dollar endorsement deals ranging from watches to rackets.
For athletes competing on the global sports stage revenue from exploitation and licensing of their image forms an ever increasing percentage of overall income. Image rights have become increasingly valuable in the commercialisation of sport not just to the elite athlete but to clubs, brands and sponsors.
This webinar will provide an understanding and insight into image rights in sport and cover many legal and practical issues surrounding their protection and commercialisation.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- Image rights defined
- Protection under English law - what form does it take?
- Image rights companies - how do they work?
- Licensing and exploitation - athletes, clubs and sponsors
- Image rights in football - where are we?
- Image rights in reality - analysis of a deal
This webinar was recorded on 8th January 2019