An Introduction to Consent & the Medical Treatment of Children
This one day course is a comprehensive introduction to the legal decision making framework for medical treatment of children.
The course will focus on the issue of consent, the principles to apply when disputes arise and when the court may get involved. It will consider the recent cases of Gard and Evans and will be aided by the use of practical case studies.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Medical treatment and children - the basics
- Consent by a person with parental responsibility
- The ‘Gillick competent’ older child
- Court exercising inherent/statutory power
- Urgent treatment decisions - doctrine of necessity and the Children Act 1989
- Recent case law
- Resolving disputes
- Children and the use of the Mental Health Act 1983
9:30am - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme