An Introduction to Compulsory Purchase & Compensation
This one hour webinar will provide delegates with a basic understanding of the assessment of compensation on compulsory purchase which is essential for anybody who finds themselves involved in the tortuous process of land acquisition under our compulsory purchase laws.
Compensation may be available for the market value of land taken, for loss of value in other retained land and for disturbance to the occupation of land during the construction itself. Inevitably however the reality can be far more complicated than that.
In this webinar RICS Registered Valuer Charles Cowap will outline the various entitlements to compensation and the way in which they are assessed. He will also look at what can be done when things seem to be going wrong.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- The basic rules for compensation in the Land Compensation Act
- The importance of the market value rule in section 5 of the Act
- Assessing compensation for severance and injurious affection
- The 'No Scheme' World and its impact on valuation
- Disturbance: who gets what
- Compensation for execution of works where no land taken: section 10 of the Compulsory Purchase Act, the McCarthy Rules
- Compensation for subsequent use of works
- Licensees and others without compensatable interests
- Other payments: Home loss, basic and occupier loss
- Professional fees
- The role of the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber) and ADR
This webinar was recorded on 15th February 2019