An A to Z of Spousal Maintenance - Live at Your Desk
This live broadcast session will provide you with an in-depth review of spousal maintenance.
- Why can it be difficult for clients to achieve a clean break?
- A 'meal ticket for life' - does that still exist?
- What is the effect of the yardstick of equality on maintenance?
The highly experienced presenter will consider variations, capitalising periodical payments and Miller v McFarlane will be revisited. Income from pensions, child support and the position of cohabitees will also be covered.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive broadcast will cover the following:
- The Nuts and Bolts That You Simply Must Know
- The Matrimonial Causes Act 1857
- The One-Third Rule
- Origins of needs based awards and reasonable requirements
- Ackworth -v- Ackworth
- Problems before there were capital settlements
- The effect of conduct and adultery before 1970
- The Matrimonial Proceedings and Property Act 1970 and the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973
- A meal ticket for life?
- Matrimonial Proceedings and Property Act 1984 and s.25 A Matrimonial Causes Act 1973
- Variations under s.31
- Income from Pensions
- The outline of the different forms of pension
- Income created by a pension
- Pitfalls with pension sharing orders
- Attachment orders
- Maintenance rather than pension sharing
- Child Support and its impact on spousal maintenance
- The current rules and their impact on the family's budget
- Changes due in the future
- Enforcement and appeals
- Cohabitation and Applications pursuant to s.15 Sch1 of the Children Act 1989
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.