A to Z of Construction Law in 2 Days
This course will provide a sound introduction to construction law for those who are new to the area. It will make reference to the current law as it affects the construction industry taking due account of statutory developments and decisions in the courts. Over a period of two days, you will be able to identify the important areas of law and practice at each step of a construction project from inception through to dispute resolution.
Upon completion of the course, you should be able to answer the following questions (amongst others):
- When is a construction project complete?
- When can a party resort to adjudication?
- What are the main features of the standard forms of contract used in construction?
This course is intended for trainees and/or junior solicitors intending to specialise in construction law and for those from a property, engineering or industry background wishing to learn more about this exciting area of law.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following topics:
- Pre tender stage
- Industry background
- Bribery and Corruption
- Tender stage
- Tendering process
- Fairness and the two contract scenario
- Public Procurement
- Challenges to award and the use of Judicial Review
- Bidding cost recovery
- Introduction to standard forms
- JCT 2016
- Partnering/collaborative contracts
- Obligations under contracts
- Express terms and interpretation
- Employer and Contractor obligations
- Good faith/ mutual trust and cooperation
- Design Liability/ fitness for purpose
- Other statutory obligations
- Valuations and payments
- The Construction Act
- Late payment
- Fair Payment
- Project Bank Accounts
- Variations or changes
- Management of change/compensation events
- Within or beyond original scope
- Time bar clauses
- Concurrent delay
- Certification and Defects
- Third Parties
- Bonds, Guarantees and warranties
- Third Party Rights
- Adjudication - oral contracts, slip rule, costs
- Mediation - exhortation
- Litigation and Jackson
Find out why MBL gets feedback for Wayne such as "Very knowledgeable speaker and content of course suited to my needs.".
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme