A Practical Guide to the Complexities of Farming Divorces in Scotland
This course aims to equip practitioners with the necessary skills to deal with the complexities of a farming divorce and rural clients with confidence.
This course is aimed at family law practitioners and would also be useful for accountants and IFAs dealing with rural matters who seek a better understanding of the divorce process for their clients.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- What's matrimonial and what's not - and why this can be a complex question in farming cases!
- How the court will treat inherited farming property and source of funds arguments
- Key cases - analysis of relevant case law
- Farm business structures - understanding partnerships
- Options for settlement for the cash-poor farmer
- Arguing economic disadvantage for the non-farming spouse
- Planning ahead - why pre-nuptial agreements are an essential tool in future proofing the farm
2:00pm - 4:45pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme