A Practical Guide to the Complexities of Farming Divorces in Scotland
This course aims to equip practitioners with the necessary skills to deal with the complexities of a farming divorce and rural clients with confidence.
This course is aimed at family law practitioners and would also be useful for accountants and IFAs dealing with rural matters who seek a better understanding of the divorce process for their clients.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- What's matrimonial and what's not - and why this can be a complex question in farming cases!
- How the court will treat inherited farming property and source of funds arguments
- Key cases - analysis of relevant case law
- Farm business structures - understanding partnerships
- Options for settlement for the cash-poor farmer
- Arguing economic disadvantage for the non-farming spouse
- Planning ahead - why pre-nuptial agreements are an essential tool in future proofing the farm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme