Drafting Sports Image Rights Agreements
This Masterclass is limited to 25 Delegates - Book Now to Guarantee your Place
Sports Image Rights are a significant and lucrative part of the sports marketing mix. Certain sports icons earn more off the field of play than on it through the commercial exploitation of their Image Rights. So there is a lot to play for and at stake.
This one day intermediate level Seminar will guide participants through the complex maze of legal and practical provisions of Sports Image Rights Agreements. The Seminar will also cover the fiscal aspects, following the Sports Club case, a highly complex, controversial and topical issue in view of the ongoing investigations by HMRC into the tax sheltering of these rights by English FA Premier League Players and their Clubs; as well as the new IP Image Right in Guernsey.
The Seminar will deal with the theory and the practice of Sports Image Rights and will include an in depth review of the essential clauses to be incorporated in a Sports Image Rights Agreement. Delegates will be provided with a General Precedent for this purpose.
What You Will Learn
- What are Image Rights?
- Who owns them?
- Conflict Marketing' issues
- Clause 4 of the English FA Premier League Players Contract
- How are Image Rights legally protected in the UK, Continental Europe and the US
- Fiscal aspects, including the Sports Club case and its practical implications
- HMRC investigations into Tax Sheltering of Sports Image Rights revenues
- New IP Image Right in Guernsey
- Tax Sheltering in Luxembourg
- Review of essential clauses in Sports Image Rights Agreements
- Proper Law, Jurisdiction and Dispute Resolution Clauses
- 'Boiler Plate' Clauses: their advantages and disadvantages
The morning session will be devoted to the theory of Sports Image Rights and will review the latest case law, sports regulations and practices.
The afternoon session will be highly practical and based on a critical analysis of a standard Sports Image Rights Agreement; a copy of which will be supplied, 14 days in advance of the seminar, to give delegates the chance to familiarise themselves with its provisions in advance. Drafting issues and techniques will be explained and discussed.
The Seminar will be interactive throughout and participation of the delegates will be encouraged.
Find out why MBL gets feedback for Ian such as "I cannot imagine a more knowledgeable speaker!".
9:30am - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme